My Husband has a son from a previous relationship who he has a Residency Order for so he legally resides with him (us). He has grown up seeing me as his Mum (not forced, something he has always called me off his own back) as we got together just before the child was placed with my Husband.

We have now made the decision for me to legally adopt him, but are worried about a few things.We cannot really afford solicitors or similar, so looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced a similar situation please? I understand this would only be needed if his birth mother contests the adoption, but want to prepare for every eventuality.

The birth mother has not seen him since before they were 1 (now 5), and Residency Order only allows indirect contact.

Any views, opinions, advice, suggestions or help would be so appreciated.
Hi, I understand that this is a difficult situation. As we're not legally trained we cannot provide legal advice. However, the Child Law Advice website has an extensive archive of information on the law surrounding children. You can call them, but you may be asked to book a call and may be charged, on 0300 330 5480. You may find it helpful to read our articles on step-families. If you feel you need further support please e-mail us at askus@familylives.org.uk or call our freephone helpline on 0808 800 2222.