helen hollis
During Covid Lockdown our son and his partner sadly realised that their relationship had come to an end and the only thing holding them together was her 4 YO daughter. My son has been Dad to her since she was 4 months old and we have been her step-grandparents since that time. 
We have formed strong bonds with her due to the fact that our son's partner had been initially living with her grandfather  and regularly came over to stay with us meaning many nights up helping the young couple with a crying baby or giving them respite in the morning.  I would also look after her during the day once her mum returned to work and 'n' got yet another virus from nursery and couldnt go.

We had hoped that his partner would keep her promise that she would not stop her daughter from having contact with our son and us despite that fact that she has, less than a month later, moved onto another relationship.

However on Monday we received the devastating blow that she now doesnt want any of us to have any further contact with her daughter. 

We are heartbroken.  

Even harder is that fact that currently she is living about 1 minutes walk away from our house in a separate court.

His ex partner came from a broken family background and was raised by her grandmother and step grandfather.  Non of this makes sense.  We know J has attachment disorder because of issues in her past.  She is 23 so still quite young. 

Any advice from people who have gone through this would be welcome 

Hi, I understand that this is a difficult situation. We're not legally trained and as such cannot give legal advice. You may find Child Law Advice helpful, their website has an extensive archive of information on the law surrounding children. However, maybe just try to stay in contact with her, don't badger her, just make it clear how you feel and leave it up to her. She may change her mind, she may not, ultimately from my understanding it is up to her. If you feel you need further support please e-mail us at askus@familylives.org.uk or call our freephone helpline on 0808 800 2222.