We are the defacto guardians of our 2 grandchildren, aged 8 and 14 who have lived with us since birth. Following marriage breakdown, their mother moved out of our family home over a year ago. She has made no provision to have the children live with her, only has occasional contact. Our son died unexpectedly a few months ago and the children say they want to stay living with us.
We are providing for our grandchildren in every sense. In 5 months since their father's death, the mother has only seen the children briefly on 5 occasions, and the last time 12 weeks ago.
We wish to raise our grandchildren in our son's absence and the mother's lack of interest. Having done some reading it seems the options are either SGO/form c1 or CAO/form c100.
Can anyone advise

Q: which is quickest and easiest path secure legal parental rights so we may deal with agencies directly to provide all their care our grandchildren need.
Q: do we need to attempt mediation first, we know she will not be cooperative.


Hi, I understand that this is a difficult situation. Since this is a legal question and we're not legally trained, we won't be able to give advice on this situation. However, the Child Law Advice website has an extensive archive of information on the law surrounding children. You can call them, but you may be asked to book a call and may be charged, on 0300 330 5480. If you feel you need further support please e-mail us at or call our freephone helpline on 0808 800 2222.