Hi I have been married for 8 years. We have 2 children together (3 and 6). I have filed for divorce due to his drug taking, leaving it around the house and spending all our money on drugs. There has also been violence from him when he has been drinking. The police have been called several times. We are still living together as he refuses to leave. As I work I have to pay the legal fees and all the work my solicitor does. As he used to spend all his money on drugs and didn’t help towards the bills I have ended up getting into debt and I am on a debt management plan. I want to leave the house but he refuses to sell it. I feel like he is putting me into a hole and I have no way out. I can’t afford to keep paying my solicitor and don’t know what else to do? Does anybody have any advice?
Hi, I understand that this is a difficult and troubling situation. It sounds like you've been dealing with a lot. Have you discussed this situation with your solicitor? You could try talking to your local council about housing and your issues. The Child Law Advice website has extensive archive of information on the law surrounding children. You can call on them, but you may be charged and may be asked to book a call, on 0300 330 5480. If you feel you need further support please e-mail us at askus@familylives.org.uk or call our freephone helpline on 0808 800 2222.
Go to a woman's refuge (Harbour for example) and seek assistance from them. they should then assist you with getting help from the police and then getting a non-molestation order through the courts which could assist in removing him from the home and free you up to seek legal aid for this and the divorce based on you being a victim of domestic abuse.

I have seen this situation work by an unscrupulous woman who falsely accused her husband of domestic abuse and had all her legal fees paid. I hope this will be useful to someone who needs and deserves the help and legal aid.